By James Clackson
- Brings jointly contributions from the world over popular classicists, linguists and Latin language specialists
- Offers, in one quantity, a close account of alternative literary registers of the Latin language
- Explores the social and political contexts of Latin
- Includes new debts of the Latin language in gentle of contemporary linguistic theory
- Supplemented with illustrations protecting the improvement of the Latin alphabet
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Latin Language (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This comparative examine, the 1st of its type, discusses paradise discourse in a variety of writing from Mexico, Zanzibar, and Sri Lanka, together with novels via authors comparable to Malcolm Lowry, Leonard Woolf, Juan Rulfo, Wilson Harris, Abdulrazak Gurnah, and Romesh Gunesekera. Tracing dialectical tropes of paradise around the "long modernity" of the capitalist world-system, Deckard reads literature from postcolonial countries in context with colonial discourse which will exhibit how paradise starts off as a topos motivating ecu exploration and colonization, shifts into an ideological delusion justifying imperial exploitation, and at last turns into a literary motif utilized by modern writers to critique neocolonial representations and stipulations within the age of globalization.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899-1977), the eminent Russian-American author and highbrow, is healthier recognized for his novels, although he used to be additionally the writer of performs, poems, and brief tales. during this very important new paintings, Paul D. Morris bargains a finished examining of Nabokov's Russian and English poetry, beforehand a ignored aspect of his oeuvre.
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2010 within the topic English Language and Literature stories - Literature, grade: 2,3, collage of Trier (Fachbereich Anglistik), path: (British) Literary conception in perform: Shakespeare, language: English, summary: Die Arbeit analysiert Shakespeares Stück aus der Perspektive postmoderner Identitätskonzepte aus den Race und Ethnic reports.
American thinker John Dewey thought of all human endeavors to be one with the flora and fauna. In his writings, relatively artwork as event (1934), Dewey insists at the primacy of our surroundings in aesthetic event. Dewey’s perception of setting comprises either the average and the man-made.
- Reading Fiction in Antebellum America
- Understanding The Great Gatsby: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents: Student Casebook to Issues, Sources and Historical Documents ... Press "Literature in Context" Series)
- No Place for Home: Spatial Constraint and Character Flight in the Novels of Cormac McCarthy (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- The Stranger and the Chinese Moral Imagination
Extra info for A Companion to the Latin Language (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Latin Language (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by James Clackson