By Saskia Coenen Snyder
Read or Download Building a Public Judaism PDF
Best judaism books
From the Preface:"The valuable thrust of this ebook is to problem the compartmentalization to which we appear all too simply resigned, to find no matter if, and to what volume, the equipment of contemporary scholarship can develop into half and parcel of the research of Torah, conceived as a religious-intellectual lifestyle.
Here's the 1st quantity ever to target the problems of Jewish ladies within the context of counseling and psychotherapy. via poignant mirrored image and remark, the authors show the richness and diversity of Jewish women’s stories and the Jewishness and femaleness of the troubles, matters, values, and attitudes that Jewish women--both consumers and therapists--bring into the treatment room.
Impurity and Gender within the Hebrew Bible explores the function of lady blood within the Hebrew Bible and considers its theological implications for destiny understandings of purity and impurity within the Jewish faith. prompted through the paintings of Jonathan Klawans (Sin and Impurity in historic Judaism), and utilizing the types of formality and ethical impurities, this booklet analyzes the best way those different types intersect with ladies and with the impurity of woman blood, and reads the biblical foundations of purity and blood taboos with a feminist lens.
Marius Heemstra argues that the 'harsh' management of the Fiscus Judaicus below the Roman emperor Domitian (81-96) and the reform of this Fiscus less than the emperor Nerva (96-98), sped up the parting of the methods among Judaism and Christianity, leading to separate religions. From ninety six CE onwards, Roman experts used a extra pointed definition of 'Jew', which made it more straightforward for them to differentiate among Judaism (an accredited faith in the empire) and Christianity (an unlawful non secular movement).
- The Stranger in Ancient and Mediaeval Jewish Tradition: Papers Read at the First Meeting of the Jbsce, Piliscsaba, 2009 (Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies)
- The Hebrew Goddess (Raphael Patai Series in Jewish Folklore and Anthropology)
- The Mixed Multitude: Jacob Frank and the Frankist Movement, 1755-1816 (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- The A to Z of Zionism (The A to Z Guide Series)
- Exodus to Shanghai: Stories of Escape from the Third Reich (Palgrave Studies in Oral History)
- Righteousness in the Book of Proverbs (Forschungen zum Alten Testament. 2. Reihe)
Additional resources for Building a Public Judaism
Building a Public Judaism by Saskia Coenen Snyder